ASQ is a great place to browse and learn. The link above is a concise write up of the power of a Pareto Chart and how the same can be generated in Excel. You could do it with Minitab as well.
My first brush with a Pareto chart was in 2001
My assignment for the week was to increase the yield of a packaging line with a major manufacturer of diabetes bio-sensors.
I walked the line, talked to the operators and talked to one of the engineers
Here is the low down
- The operators maintained a very clear record of the down time and frequency
- The data was collected and stored in a database
- Repairs to literature folder
- Have communication on the line and reduce wasteful meetings
- Bring in the literature folder company rep and recondition the system
- Increase in yield from 75% to 95%